Friday, April 15, 2011

Jon and Munky discuss Metallica

Slash, Korn, Slayer, Slipknot, Anthrax, Hollywood Undead, Asking Alexandria, Five Finger Death Punch, Michelle Rodriguez and More Talk When They Discovered Metallica - ARTISTdirect News: Every hard rock fan has a Metallica story.

There was that moment of discovery either via a friend who had already seen the light, the radio, MTV back when they actually played music videos, the Heshers in the last row of math class, or one of the million VH1 specials about the band. There's nothing quite like the first time hearing Metallica either. It's life-changing for anyone who keeps themselves open to the music. No one will ever forget seeing the music video for "One", hearing the intro to "Enter Sandman", or falling under Master of Puppets' spell. Even for people who aren't fans, the first Metallica experience is paramount. However, for those of us who get it (and there are millions upon millions worldwide), it's a landmark moment.

Given the significance of discovering Metallica and with The Big Four taking over Indio next Saturday April 23, ARTISTdirect.com editor and Dolorauthor Rick Florino spoke to numerous musicians and celebrities about the first time they heard Metallica and what the band means to them.

Slash, Kerry King of Slayer, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Jonathan Davis of Korn, Corey Taylor of Slipknot & Stone Sour, Sully Erna of Godsmack, Hollywood Undead, Michelle Rodriguez, and many more shared their stories in this exclusive feature.

Jonathan Davis of Korn:

I first heard them on either Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning. I was at my buddy's house, and this guy came over and said, "You've got to hear this shit!" I was 14-years-old or something; I can't even remember how old I was [Laughs]. This dude put Metallica on, and I was like, "Wow, what the hell is that?" I only listened to them at that moment, and I sort of forgot about it afterwards. I thought it was cool, but I genuinely didn't get into them again until they hit with The Black Album. It was all over MTV at the time. I really got into Metallica when I got in Korn though. I love playing "One." It was cool to play it for them at the MTV Icon special. They're one of my favorite bands. I look up to them. They've been doing it for so long. That's truly the band I look up to—them and Ozzy Osbourne. We've also toured with Metallica a bunch; it's fucking awesome!

Fieldy of Korn & StillWell:

I was in high school! I remember I got Kill 'Em All. I heard it, and I didn't understand it. I was like, "What is this? It's fast metal, but I hear punk rock." I was blown away though. The musicians weren't sloppy at all; they were great. I was tripping out because it was the first time I heard something that was totally off the wall. I was even more blown away by Ride the Lightning. From there, I started following them and I became a fan all the way up to today. Death Magnetic is unbelievable! It's mind-blowing. I can't believe it. We'd love to tour with them again. They're really cool guys. It's an honor to play with Metallica.


0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

 
korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn, korn